Monday, September 26, 2011

Almost Ready for Winter

TWC says it's supposed to snow this week. The trees have been bare for a week or two now, and you can feel that snow is in the air...soon. When we went to Anchorage last week, we made sure to stop and pick up 25 pounds of hot cocoa mix. And I picked up some nice XL purple girls' snow pants with suspenders that should work with a growing belly. I'm hoping that the men's military parka I just bought will fit over my belly the whole winter, too. Any of you who have seen me pregnant know I get pretty HUGE. It may not be ultra feminine, but I don't think there's much of a market for adorable maternity parkas, so we're going with super warm and not gonna break the bank. Elodie tells me she's a tough Alaska girl when I remind her to put a jacket on to go outside and she doesn't want to. I guess her mom should look like a tough Alaskan woman. Ya think I'll look as tough as this guy?


We've got the cocoa, the coats, the face masks, the wool socks. We're ready. Bring it on!

Update: We've had a couple of VERY BRIEF snow flurries, but no accumulation yet (as of Oct. 10). I am pleasantly surprised that Colorado got snow before us! Who would have thought?

We are even more ready for winter now. My parka came in the mail. While I do get huge when I'm pregnant, this parka is mega huge, and I probably could have gone with the men's size small rather than medium, but at least I will not be limited in the number of layers I can wear under the parka! I got pretty HOT just in the couple minutes it took to try on the parka and take pictures! I think it's a keeper! (And I'm pretty sure I look tougher than that guy, even with Girls' purple snow pants on.)

Aaron bought some wood from someone who was moving and got it all chopped up, with the help of his new friend the chainsaw. Then he got some free wood that I'm sure he'll chop up soon, being the man of action that he is. We have some stacked outside, but since we have a two-car garage and only one car, it seemed like a good idea to keep a bunch of the wood nice and dry and ready in the garage. Won't that be nice to not have to go all the way out into the weather to make a fire? Someday, when we again enjoy the luxury of being a two-car family, we won't have this luxury! At least not for such a big stash!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see you model that coat and overalls! :) I think you were made for winters that last half the year.

Marliese said...

You are so cute. I love your "bring it on" attitude! Come what may and love it, right?

Good luck!